Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Yeah, I know I'm bad....

I'm finding it hard to keep this my promise of regularly updating my blog. Maybe if I put my blog on my bookmark toolbar, I will remember.

I'm reeling from this post I read at Vera's. She went to a single's conference where they listed a host of marital and pre-marital sins, the most harrowing being the forbidding of oral sex among married couples. It's bad enough that we are not supposed to have sex before marriage, now they are restricting the kind of sex I can have when I'm married? Are they kidding?

I attended a wedding at a Redeemed church in yankee recently and was shocked by the pastor's rendition of the couple's love story. According to the pastor, casual dating is forbidden in his church. The groom asked him for permission before asking the bride out. Of course, this all happened after mandated fasting and prayer. Before the babe agreed, she also conducted her own prayer and fasting sessions. Mind you, this is all before the dating process. So they began their church supervised courting: under no circumstances were they allowed to be alone together, no kissing, hugging or “come hither” looks. They couldn’t even ride in the same car without someone else with them. The pastor was bragging cos they followed his instructions and now they were getting married. The whole time dude was speaking, I was looking around to make sure the “you’ve got to be kidding me” look was not just on my face. In this day and age!? I just can’t imagine such chastity in today’s society. In this America? I didn’t get the chance to ask the couple if they actually followed the pastor’s orders or bent some of the rules. It’s one thing to demand that people not have sex before marriage but now you tell them they shouldn’t even hug!? Haba!

I find it absurd when people take the words of a human being as God’s words. I am yet to come across a bible passage that eschews human touch during a courtship. Even the songs of Solomon talks of lovers embracing and kissing. Yes they may lead to sex but people such Christians should have a lil more self control. In fact, I think the pastor came up with these rules because he believes members of his congregation have no self control but that’s taking things too far. Personally, I enjoy hugging, kissing and much more…as long as you use protection, go on soun.☺.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

MADLY LOL!!!
See why we all need to dig deep into the Word so that we can be well informed!!!
Information is KEY in this day and age man!

LG said...

hmm! na sidon look i dey o

Jay said...

na wa oo...that churh seems unreal!!! serioulsy, thats just plain crazy

Yes nothing wrong with preaching the word but some people just have to put their own spin on things!!!

Anonymous said...

I guess the key is to be aware of what God's word says and try to interpret it in a way that is accurate (without twisting it to justify your own wants and desires). That latter part is so hard though!

It's crazy how many things people have felt correct doing or not doing due to their own interpretation of the Word.

Roc said...

I'm still fuming from that post you'd have thought I was the one they preachd to..

Nice analysis!

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

lol!!!! I must have missed that post at Vera's. If that is true then far too many of God's children are going straight to ......

hahahaha!

Sisem E. Naidem said...

All this God said... man interpretes dey tire me. Like I said on Vera's, all decisions on sex are best left to the two people involved...
PS:*very BIG sigh* Lest I forget, also wanted you to know that I’ve been burdened with passing along the Honest Scrap Award to 7 other blogs I’ve judged to be intelligent in content and design so I decided to chose yours. Visit phoneparazzi.blogspot.com to check out the quirky rules and humour us with an “honest” post soonest. Thanks and Sorry!

The Activist said...

You have said it all. It's absurd. Very absurd!

A in Nigeria suddenly realise it was a sin for women to wear trousers, the pastor asked all the women/girls to submit their trousers to be burnt and they did pronto.

Am yet to see any biblical man that wore trouser!

The Activist said...

A "Church"in Nigeria was what I meant to write

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

um, where are you? Hope all is well.